Colinsburgh is steeped in tradition. The town stands on the estate of the Earl of Crawford & Balcaries named after Colin, the 3rd Earl who founded it in 1682 to provide homes for his disbanded troops. In 1882, Lady Coutts Lindsay raised funds from a bazaar and a large town hall was built and opened on 25th Oct 1895 comfortably seating 300. This historic building is used by local clubs and associations and for social occasions. Refurbishment is being planned with work to start shortly.
The Colinsburgh Gas Co. was founded on 8th Oct 1841, a capital of £500 was subscribed and the works were erected the following year. The town was first lighted on the evening Oct fair and the crowd augmented by the novelty. A man was sent to Kilconquhar to beat a drum to invite folks to come and see one of the seven wonders of the world!
Galloway Library - Colinsburgh started as a leather tannery then a butcher’s kiln. Buildings were pulled down and the bequest library built. Mr Galloway made his money in America. He also left a sum of money to provide newspapers and bursaries to the school children.